Arcadia, TX (Shelby County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 29, 2020


Arcadia is at the junction of Farm roads 138 and 1645, ten miles southwest of Center in western Shelby County. In 1903 it had two schools, one for White children that had sixty-eight pupils, and one for black children that had sixteen pupils. By 1938 the school district had been consolidated with a nearby common school district. In 1946 the community had a church, two stores, a gin, and a population estimated at twenty-five. From 1972 through 2000 the population was reported as twenty.

John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas, a Comprehensive Look at Texas Today, County by County (Dallas: Clements Research, 1984).

Categories:
  • Peoples
  • African Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Arcadia, TX (Shelby County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/arcadia-tx-shelby-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 29, 2020

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Arcadia
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379357
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Burtonsville

Toomey

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.76323100°
  • Longitude: -94.34048010°
Population Counts
People Year
35 2009