Argo, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Argo is on Farm Road 1001 eight miles northeast of Mount Pleasant in northeastern Titus County. The town grew up in the 1880s around the businesses of James S. Rountree, Millard C. Wilhite, and John Arnold. The post office was established in Rountree's general store in 1885 with Rountree as postmaster. By 1890 Argo had become a major trading center for farmers who lived north of Mount Pleasant; it had a population of 150, three churches, a mill, a gin, a tannery, and several stores. Although the population was only sixty-five in 1896, it had increased to 131 by 1900. The post office was closed in 1907, but the town remained fairly stable until the 1940s. By 1954 the population had fallen to thirty, and in 1986 and 1990 it was reported as twenty-six.

C. L. Embrey, Our Good Old Days (Laird Hill, Texas, 1970). Quasqui Centennial Committee, Titus County Celebrates 125 Years (Mount Pleasant, Texas, 1971). Traylor Russell, History of Titus County (2 vols., Waco: Morrison, 1965, 1966; rpt. 1975).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Argo, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/argo-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Argo
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380819
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Titus County
Associated Names

Early Grove

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.25511760°
  • Longitude: -94.89493390°
Population Counts
People Year
90 2014