Arispe, also known as La Valley, was five miles southeast of Sierra Blanca on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in an area that is now crossed by Interstate 10 and U.S. Highway 80 in south central Hudspeth County. The community was founded in 1885 as a railroad section house. A post office called La Valley operated from 1909 until 1911 with Mrs. Alice Auten as postmistress. The community had fifty-seven inhabitants. By the mid-1940s the estimated population numbered fewer than twenty-five.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Martin Donell Kohout, “Arispe, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 29, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/arispe-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.