Arkansas City, TX


By: Dick D. Heller, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Arkansas City, four miles south of San Isidro on Farm Road 2294 in northeastern Starr County, was a supply point and shipping center for the surrounding ranch area in the days of horse-drawn wagons; by 1936 it had a factory, a business, and two dwellings. In 1940 it had a store and a population of ten. During the 1950s and 1960s the community population increased to forty. In 1991 there were three rural homes in the area but no markers indicating a community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Dick D. Heller, Jr., “Arkansas City, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/arkansas-city-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Arkansas City
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377952
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Starr County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 26.66144680°
  • Longitude: -98.43418280°