Arlie, TX


By: Ida Howard Taylor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Arlie is on Farm Road 1034 and Sand Creek in northeastern Childress County. The town was established in 1888 and named for Arlie Griffith Weddington, an early resident. The Arlie post office was granted in June 1888. The community became a trade center for a prosperous farming area and for years had a church, a general store, and a cotton gin. Beginning in 1901 it was part of the Buck Creek (later Loco) school district. In 1930 the Arlie post office changed its name to Loco; it remained in operation until December 1964. In 1946 eight families were reported as permanent residents in Arlie, but improved local transportation led to the community's demise, as local businesses closed; this was also the case with neighboring Loco. In the 1980s only farms and the Arlie community cemetery remained in the vicinity.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ida Howard Taylor, “Arlie, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/arlie-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Arlie
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379361
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Childress County
Associated Names

Deer

Loco

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.71783640°
  • Longitude: -100.09094190°