Arnottville was on State Highway 171 three miles north of Hillsboro in central Hill County. The community was probably named for Albert M. Arnott (Arnot), who owned 2,000 acres in the area on which he ran cattle. Arnott donated half an acre to build a school and church. The church was used as a circuit-rider stop and usually held Church of Christ services. Because of its proximity to cattle trails the area was a popular resting place for cowboys. In 1905 the Arnott school had sixty-nine pupils. In the 1980s the only remnant of the community was the church, which was no longer in use.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Lisa C. Maxwell, “Arnottville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 22, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/arnottville-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.