The Artesian Belt Railroad, named for the area of Texas it traversed, was chartered on November 17, 1908, in the interest of Charles F. Simmons to develop his landholdings. The road was projected to run between Macdona, a station on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway in Bexar County, to Simmons City in Live Oak County, a distance of seventy miles. The railroad had a capital stock of $70,000. The principal place of business was San Antonio. The members of the first board of directors were A. M. Bates, of Excelsior Springs, Missouri; E. P. Simmons, Robert Clarke, C. N. Feamster, J. O. Terrell, and D. O. Terrell, all of San Antonio; and Jourdan Campbell, of Campbellton, Texas. On September 1, 1909, the Artesian Belt opened a forty-two-mile line between Macdona and Christine. The company crossed the International-Great Northern track at Kirk and operated over that line between Kirk and San Antonio. In 1916 it owned three locomotives and five cars and reported total passenger earnings of $7,000 and freight earnings of $22,000. The Artesian Belt entered receivership for the second time on April 25, 1917, and the property was acquired by the San Antonio Southern Railway Company in 1920.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Nancy Beck Young, “Artesian Belt Railroad,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 22, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/artesian-belt-railroad.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.