Ash Switch, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Ash Switch, also known as Ash, is on Farm Road 1616 four miles northeast of Athens in north central Henderson County. The settlement was named for John Ash, who built a home there in the 1890s. Before 1900 the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway established a flag station nearby named Ash Switch, which locals eventually shortened to Ash. In the mid-1930s the community had a population of five, one business, a church, and a number of houses. After World War II residents left the area, and by the early 1990s only a cemetery and a few scattered dwellings remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Ash Switch, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ash-switch-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Ash
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1329800
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Henderson County
Associated Names

-Switch

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.26681560°
  • Longitude: -95.79690900°