The Asherton and Gulf Railway Company was chartered on January 14, 1905, as the Nueces Valley, Rio Grande and Mexico Railway Company; the name was changed on March 9, 1909. The principal office, originally at Carizzo Springs, was later moved to Asherton. Members of the first board of directors were Asher Richardson, J. C. Dennis, W. W. McKinley, W. A. Milles, John Bivens, J. T. Nesbit, W. W. Williams, A. M. McElwee, and M. C. Wells. Work was begun on a railroad grade between Artesia Wells and Carizo Springs in February 1905, but was discontinued in May after about ten miles had been graded. Following a change of control, construction resumed in 1908. The twelve miles between Artesia Wells and Light opened on June 27, 1909, and the remaining twenty miles between Light and Asherton on August 2, 1909. After the construction of the railroad much of the nearby ranchland was converted to vegetable farming. Most of the Asherton and Gulf's earnings came from freight operations, but passenger service was also provided. In 1916 the line reported passenger earnings of $5,000 and total freight earnings of $26,000, and the railroad owned two locomotives and six cars. The Asherton and Gulf became part of the Missouri Pacific lines on January 2, 1926, but continued to operate as a separate company until it was merged into the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company on March 1, 1956. The line was abandoned in 1958.