Ashmore is at the junction of Farm Road 403 and State Highway 83, sixteen miles east of Seagraves in northeastern Gaines County. It developed as a community after 1913 and was named for the man who purchased J. H. Belcher's store and post office. Coleman L. Henson surveyed the townsite in 1939. A local school was established in 1923, although one had existed at several nearby locations since 1913. It was consolidated with the Loop school in 1937, and the post office closed in 1948. The population in 1980 and 1990 was twenty-five.