Asphalt Belt Railway

By: Ruben E. Ochoa

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994

The Asphalt Belt Railway Company was chartered on June 9, 1923. The railroad was planned to run from a point on the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf in Zavala County to the mines of the Texas Rock Asphalt Company and of R. L. White in Uvalde County. The capital of the AB was $20,000. The principal place of business was San Antonio. The members of the first board of directors were H. P. McMillan, R. C. Tarbutton, R. H. Schultz, and Mason Williams, all of San Antonio; E. R. Breaker and F. L. Lewis, both of North Pleasanton; and R. C. Hollifield of Uvalde. The Asphalt Belt was constructed during the later part of 1923 by Frank Kell and W. T. Eldridge and opened January 1, 1924. The line ran from Asphalt Belt Junction on the SAU&G, located about a mile south of Pulliam, at Dabney, a distance of about eighteen miles. The company provided intrastate service only until granted authority to engage in interstate commerce by the Interstate Commerce Commission on August 24, 1926. In November of the same year the Asphalt Belt was acquired by the New Orleans, Texas and Mexico, which was acting for the Missouri Pacific. Although the Asphalt Belt kept its corporate identity, it was operated as a part of the Missouri Pacific lines until 1956, when it was merged into the Missouri Pacific. Throughout its life the Asphalt Belt owned no equipment and never offered passenger service. Extensive flood damage in late 1986 destroyed a bridge near Farm Road 481 and led to the dismantling of the former Asphalt Belt in 1987.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ruben E. Ochoa, “Asphalt Belt Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994