Ater, TX


By: Zelma Scott

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Ater is on the south bank of the Leon River nine miles northwest of Gatesville and one mile north of Farm Road 2412 in northwestern Coryell County. The site was settled in the early 1870s by families from Pontotoc County, Mississippi. The community, first named Sardis after a church at the settlers' former home, was renamed for Joe Ater, owner of the general store and postmaster from 1899 until 1907; in the latter year the office was discontinued and the mail rerouted through Jonesboro. The Stephenville North and South Texas Railway built through the area within a mile of Ater in 1911, but the company went bankrupt in the mid-1930s. The school at Ater was consolidated with the Jonesboro district in 1939. In the mid-1940s Ater was marked on county highway maps as having a church, a business, and a few scattered houses, and the population was reported as twenty-five. The population remained at twenty-five through 2000.

Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Zelma Scott, “Ater, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ater-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Ater
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379371
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coryell County
Associated Names

Sardis

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.52321650°
  • Longitude: -97.86113720°
Population Counts
People Year
12 2009