Atoy, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Atoy is a rural community on Farm Road 343 and near Atoy Creek eight miles east of Rusk in eastern Cherokee County. The area was first settled in the 1840s, but a community did not develop there until after the Civil War. An Atoy post office operated in 1870–71, and a school was in operation by the mid-1890s. During the mid-1930s Atoy had a school, a church, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Rusk schools. In the early 1990s Atoy still had a church, a store, and a community center. By 1999 the store and the community center had closed down, and the community consisted of a cemetery, three churches, and scattered houses.

Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Atoy, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/atoy-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Loading