Austin Bayou rises 1½ miles east of Rosharon in northwest Brazoria County (at 29°22' N, 95°26' W) and runs twenty-eight miles southeast to its mouth on Bastrop Bayou, eight miles southeast of Angleton (at 29°06' N, 95°18' W). The creek has been altered at various points to form Peltier Garrett Lakes, McCullough Lake, and other reservoirs. Austin Bayou is named for Henry Austin, who received a title for land along the stream in 1831. The surrounding flat to rolling terrain is surfaced by clay and clay and sandy loam that supports mesquite, grasses, cacti, water-tolerant hardwoods, and conifers.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Austin Bayou,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 31, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/austin-bayou.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.