Austin Caverns, a series of caves on Meredith Street in northwest Austin (at 30°18' N, 97°47' W) has been known since the mid-1800s. The caves were exploited commercially for a brief period in 1932 but were judged too dangerous to be open to the public. The entrance was blasted shut. Rainwater and quarrying periodically reopened the cave, requiring further blasting and filling to keep it closed. Part of the cave served as a storm-sewer drain.
BIUBLIOGRAPHY: Vertical Files, Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin (Caves).