Austin Dam and Suburban Railway

By: George C. Werner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995

What later became the Austin Dam and Suburban Railway was originally built by the city of Austin in 1891 and ran from the city to the site of Austin Dam, a distance of 4.75 miles. The Austin Dam and Suburban was chartered on July 16, 1895, and purchased the line from the city of Austin for $43,500. The railroad was electrified and operated as a streetcar line through Austin to a pleasure park near the dam. In the spring of 1899 an additional 1.5 miles of track was constructed. After the destruction of Austin Dam by a flood in April 1900, the railroad ceased operations until May 1904. The company was sold at foreclosure on June 7, 1902, and acquired by George J. Gould three days later. Under the provisions of an ordinance approved June 10, 1903, the company abandoned and removed its tracks from certain streets and acquired the right to operate what remained as a steam railroad. Service over the Austin Dam and Suburban was provided by the International and Great Northern Railroad Company, whose successor acquired the line in 1923. On March 1, 1956, the company, along with its parent, was merged into the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

George C. Werner, “Austin Dam and Suburban Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995