Austin Female Academy


By: Lura N. Rouse

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


G. C. Baggerly, pastor of the First Baptist Church, opened the Austin Female Academy in Austin on October 21, 1850. In 1851 the school occupied a new building on Pecan Street (later Sixth Street) and added a "thorough collegiate course." Baggerly asked the Baptist State Convention to send visitors to conduct annual examinations, but his request was declined. Although the Cherokee Baptist Association recommended the school, Baggerly gave up his project and moved to Tyler in 1853, when he could not convert the school into a Baptist institution.

Visit the Texas Women Project's standalone website

The Handbook of Texas Women project has its own dedicated website and resources.

Visit Website
Aloise Walker Hardy, A History of Travis County, 1832–1865 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). Willie Madora Long, Education in Austin Before the Public Schools (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
Categories:
  • Education
  • Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools
  • Religion
  • Baptist
  • Women
Time Periods:
  • Antebellum Texas
Places:
  • Austin
  • Central Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lura N. Rouse, “Austin Female Academy,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/austin-female-academy.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: