The Austin Texas Democrat was established when John Salmon Ford and Michael Cronican purchased the Texas National Register in 1845 and moved it to Austin. The paper was published both as a weekly and a semiweekly beginning January 21, 1846. The semiweekly appeared during sessions of the legislature, and the weekly the remainder of the year through the third volume. Ford and Cronican dissolved their partnership when Ford left to fight in the Mexican War, and Joel Miner and Samuel Cummings replaced him on December 15, 1847. In 1848 Cronican took his printing press and equipment to San Antonio, leaving Miner and Cummings as proprietors of the Democrat.The weekly continued publication until sometime in 1863, when the two owners sold it to William Cushney, who changed its name to the Texas State Gazette.
Another Austin Texas Democrat was published by Charles G. Norton from February 26, 1937, until April 30, 1937, and continued by the Austin Times and Texas Democrat.