Austin Texas Sentinel [1857-58]


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


The second Texas Sentinel was published weekly in Austin beginning in June 1857, after William G. O'Brien and Company purchased it from John S. Ford. The paper described itself as "an independent, anti-Caucus, anti-Austin clique Democratic journal" and succeeded the Texas State Times. Fenton M. Gibson served as editor. P. W. Humphreys, A. G. Compton, and Xavier B. DeBray succeeded O'Brien before the paper was discontinued in July 1858.

Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Mary Glasscock Frazier, Texas Newspapers during the Republic (March 2, 1836-February 19, 1846) (M. Journ. thesis, University of Texas, 1931). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
Categories:
  • Journalism
  • Newspapers

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Austin Texas Sentinel [1857-58],” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/austin-texas-sentinel-1857-58.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994