Austwell, TX


By: Hobart Huson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Austwell is on Farm Road 774 near Hynes Bay in northeastern Refugio County. It was founded by Preston R. Austin in 1911; the community name combines the first syllable of Austin's name and the last syllable of that of his partner, Jesse C. McDowell. The farsighted Austin installed a water system with large cypress mains in every street and a fire plug on almost every corner. The community served as the terminus of the Austwell branch of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway. In 1912 Austwell acquired its own post office and erected a small wharf, but the bay was too shallow for any except lighter navigation. Austwell was incorporated by an election held on September 10, 1914. Around that time a town newspaper, the Austwell Dispatch, was established. On December 7, 1914, local Masons chartered the Lieuen M. Rogers lodge. The town was badly damaged by a storm in 1919 and almost destroyed by another on August 31, 1942. The population had dwindled to 300 in 1944. In 1988 Austwell listed a population of 280. In 1990 the population was 189. By 2000 the population was 192.

Hobart Huson, Refugio: A Comprehensive History of Refugio County from Aboriginal Times to 1953 (2 vols., Woodsboro, Texas: Rooke Foundation, 1953, 1955).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Hobart Huson, “Austwell, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/austwell-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Austwell
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2409762
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Refugio County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.39109370°
  • Longitude: -96.84371300°
Population Counts
People Year
189 1990
192 2000
147 2010
145 2019
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until December 11, 2022
Adopted by:
Humberto Gonzales Guerra
Dedication Message:
In Honor of Jose Maria and Flora Gonzales Guerra