Avalon was a school community west of the site of Roby on Alkali Creek in central Fisher County. It was established in the late 1880s. The school seems to have been initially known as Alkali, although two separate districts, Avalon and Alkali, were reported in 1890. At any rate, the school was known as Avalon after absorbing the nearby Fairview district around 1890. Sometime later Avalon was moved north and reestablished on land given by W. Eaton on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River. While in this second location, the settlement was occasionally referred to as Chickenfoot. The school was used as a church and meetinghouse by area settlers. The attempt to merge the Avalon school with the Roby school in 1924 was defeated in an election. The Avalon district was then divided by Roby and Rotan in 1925.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Charles G. Davis, “Avalon, TX (Fisher County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 25, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/avalon-tx-fisher-county.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.