Avaton, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Avaton was on Little Cypress Bayou nine miles from Longview and twenty miles west of Marshall in western Harrison County. It had a post office from 1884 to 1902. In 1896 the community had a cotton gin and gristmill, a district school, and Methodist and Baptist congregations. Avaton was gone by the 1940s.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Avaton, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/avaton-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Avaton
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harrison County
Associated Names

Ava