Averitt was on Lipan Creek adjacent to Hess, south of Mereta in east central Tom Greene County. In 1931 the school had two teachers and offered nine grades. In 1936 the school was called Hess-Averitt School on state highway maps, and in 1939 the average attendance was ten. By the 1980s the community had disappeared.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Diana J. Kleiner, “Averitt, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 27, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/averitt-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.