Charles Marion Aves, neurosurgeon and pioneer in industrial medicine, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, on November 14, 1881, the son of the Rev. Charles S. and Jesse (Hughes) Aves and the brother of Etheldreda Aves. His father was an Episcopal minister. The family moved to Texas in 1900, when Charles Aves was offered the position of rector at Trinity Episcopal Church in Galveston. Aves received his early schooling in Norwalk, Ohio, and Kenyon Military Academy. He attended Kenyon College and the University of Texas before entering the University of Texas Medical Branch, where he obtained an M.D. in 1907.
After an internship at John Sealy Hospital in Galveston, Aves completed a residency in neurosurgery at the Episcopal Hospital in Philadelphia. In 1911 he settled in Houston, where he practiced medicine and surgery until World War I. He accepted a commission as first lieutenant in the United States Army Medical Reserve Corps in 1916 and entered active service in June 1917 as a captain. After receiving special military training at Washington University and the Mayo Clinic, Aves was sent overseas as chief surgeon at an evacuation hospital in France. While in France he was promoted to lieutenant colonel and became commanding officer of the hospital. He returned to Houston in 1919.
Aves was one of the founders of Hermann Hospital in Houston and served as chief of staff there for many years. He was the founder of the medical department and chief surgeon for Humble Oil and Refining Company from 1919 (now Exxon Company, U.S.A.) until his death. He also served as neurological surgeon at Jefferson Davis Hospital, chief surgeon of Baytown Hospital, and surgical staff member at St. Joseph's Infirmary.
He was chairman of the Committee on Industrial Safety for the State Medical Association of Texas (see TEXAS MEDICAL ASSOCIATION) and a member of the Texas Surgical Society and the Harris County Medical Society. He was a member of the board of directors of the National Safety Council and a fellow of the American Medical Association and the American College of Surgeons. He was an Episcopalian and a Mason. Aves married Mrs. Ruby Lynn Arnim of Houston on May 15, 1915. They had two sons. He died of a cerebral hemorrhage at his home in Houston on April 25, 1944, and was buried in Forest Park Cemetery in that city.