Avondale, TX


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Avondale is sixteen miles northwest of Fort Worth at the intersection of U.S. Highway 287 and Farm Road 718 in northwestern Tarrant County. Its founding was associated with the extension of the tracks of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway through the area in 1882. Rail officials surveyed and platted the townsite, which they named for its attractive location, and a village soon developed there. A post office opened in 1890. By 1910 it had a population of eighteen, and its school registered forty-six students and employed one teacher. In 1920 State Highway 81 bypassed the settlement, and the post office and the last store closed. The railroad depot closed in 1924. A 1936 map shows scattered dwellings and one business, and a 1976 highway map shows Avondale as a sparsely populated rural community.

Historic Resources Survey: Selected Tarrant County Communities (Fort Worth: Historic Preservation Council for Tarrant County, 1990).
Places:
  • Communities
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Avondale, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/avondale-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Avondale
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377966
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Tarrant County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.96790290°
  • Longitude: -97.42057520°