Azle, TX


By: W. Kellon Hightower

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Azle is on State Highway 199 sixteen miles northwest of downtown Fort Worth in the northwest corner of Tarrant County; the town extends partly into Parker County. The first recorded settlement at the site occurred in 1846, when a young doctor named James Azle Steward moved into a cabin built by a Dutchman named Rumsfeldt. Other settlers came and established themselves near the local streams, Ash Creek, Silver Creek, and Walnut Creek. The first post office opened in 1881, and the town took the name O'Bar in honor of the man who obtained the postal service. Soon, however, the name was changed at the request of Steward, who donated the land for a townsite in order to have the town named Azle. The community's economy was based on agriculture. Several crops were grown, including wheat, corn, peanuts, sorghum, and cotton. Watermelons, cantaloupes, peaches, plums, and pears were also produced. Dairy farming became important in the early decades of the twentieth century, when local milk products were sold to creameries in Fort Worth. The population of Azle grew steadily, and by 1920 the census recorded 150 residents. By 1933 State Highway 34 (later State Highway 199) had reached Azle from Fort Worth, greatly improving transportation capabilities between the town and the city. Also, Eagle Mountain Lake was formed by a dam on the Trinity River east of Azle. In the late 1930s electricity was supplied to Azle and the surrounding countryside. The population grew between 1940 and 1960 from 800 to 2,696. It was 5,822 by 1980. After the 1930s agriculture gradually declined; fields were converted from wheat and corn production to housing developments. Manufacturing increased, and in 1984 Azle had twenty-six businesses. In 1985 the population was estimated at more than 7,000. The town's proximity to Fort Worth and its position as the "Gateway to Eagle Mountain Lake" have made Azle a popular place to live. In 1990 the population was 8,868. The population grew to 9,600 by 2000.

Ruby Schmidt, ed., Fort Worth and Tarrant County (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1984). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

W. Kellon Hightower, “Azle, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/azle-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Azle
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2409766
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Tarrant County
  • Parker County
Associated Names

Fowler's Store

O'Bar

Shell Rock

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.89526980°
  • Longitude: -97.53781700°
Population Counts
People Year
2,969 1960
4,493 1970
5,822 1980
8,868 1990
9,600 2000
10,947 2010
13,781 2019
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until April 25, 2023
Adopted by:
DeAnn Dunaway
Dedication Message:
IN HONOR OF DAVID DUNAWAY