Bacliff, TX


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bacliff is on Farm Road 646 and Galveston Bay sixteen miles northwest of Galveston in north central Galveston County. Originally a summer weekend resort, the community was known as Clifton-by-the-Sea until the late 1940s or early 1950s. In 1933 Clifton had a population of fifty and two businesses, and from 1940 to 1949 it had 100 residents and four businesses. Both names, Bacliff and Clifton-by-the-Sea, were used to refer to the community for a time after the Bacliff post office was established in 1961. That year the town registered 1,707 residents and twenty-five businesses. It grew to a population of 1,782 and seventeen businesses by 1966. By 1986 Bacliff had become a residential community for workers who commuted to jobs throughout the area; it had a population of 4,851 and nineteen businesses. In 1990 the community had six churches, a school, twenty-seven businesses, and a population of 5,549.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Bacliff, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 06, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bacliff-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bacliff
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1329909
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Galveston County
Associated Names

Clifton-by-the-Sea

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.50689650°
  • Longitude: -94.99242700°
Population Counts
People Year
5,549 1990
6,962 2000
8,619 2010
10,096 2019