Bagby, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bagby is on Farm Road 1550 fifteen miles southeast of Bonham in the southeastern corner of Fannin County. In 1895 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway established the community as a railroad stop. That same year the Bagby post office opened. By 1900 the settlement had a church, a school, a drugstore, two gins, a general store, and a sawmill. In 1904, however, the post office closed. In 1944 the railroad discontinued service to the town. Since the end of World War II, Bagby has served as a church and school community for area farmers.

Fannin County Folks and Facts (Dallas: Taylor, 1977).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Bagby, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bagby-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bagby
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381350
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Fannin County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.48455090°
  • Longitude: -95.91941140°