Baldwin, TX (Harrison County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Baldwin is on the Louisiana and Arkansas Railway fourteen miles northeast of Marshall in northeastern Harrison County. The settlement was named for the J. B. Baldwin family of Marshall and had a post office from 1902 to 1915. In 1914 Baldwin had an estimated population of 350 inhabitants and two sawmills, two general stores, one cotton gin, and an apiarist. By 1933 the population had declined to twenty-five, and there was one business in the town. In 1990 Baldwin consisted of a few scattered dwellings.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Baldwin, TX (Harrison County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/baldwin-tx-harrison-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Baldwin
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377970
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harrison County
Associated Names

Norwood

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.70597680°
  • Longitude: -94.23435560°