Baldwin, TX (Polk County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Baldwin, in southwestern Polk County, was on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway, which was built through the county in 1880 and generated the construction of numerous sawmills along its line. At Baldwin, a switch on the railroad south of Livingston, the M. D. Tackaberry sawmill cut locally available timber during the late nineteenth century. E. M. Ward also operated a mill there. He moved the Lima Lumber Company's mill, formerly at Lamont, to Baldwin in 1903. The site appears on a 1905 railroad map of Texas but is not shown on 1913 or 1918 maps of this type.

A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Baldwin, TX (Polk County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/baldwin-tx-polk-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Baldwin
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Associated Names

Lamont

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.63383820°
  • Longitude: -94.94837000°