Ballard Creek


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Ballard Creek begins four miles southwest of Matador in southwest Motley County (at 33°59' N, 100°50' W) and flows twenty miles northeast, skirting the southern limits of Matador, to enter the Middle Pease River in east central Motley County (at 34°04' N, 100°38' W). A main source for the creek is Ballard Springs. The area around the springs was the first land acquired by the Matador Land and Cattle Company. Both the creek and the springs were named for a buffalo hunter who camped at the site about 1876. The area terrain is sloping and surfaced by thin silt loams that support mesquite and grasses.

Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981). Claude V. Hall, Early History of Floyd County (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1947).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Ballard Creek,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ballard-creek.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994