Balsora, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Balsora is on Farm Road 920 nine miles south of Bridgeport in southwestern Wise County. The area was originally called Wild Horse Prairie because it was frequented by mustangs. Balsora was established in the late 1880s or early 1890s. Postal service to the community began in 1894, was halted two years later, and began again in 1900. By that time Balsora had a general store, a church, and a school. The population, however, never exceeded fifty, and in 1924 postal service to the community ended. After the 1930s the population hovered between forty and fifty. In 1990 and 2000 it was fifty.

John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas, a Comprehensive Look at Texas Today, County by County (Dallas: Clements Research, 1984). Rosalie Gregg, ed., Wise County History (Vol. 1, n.p: Nortex, 1975; Vol. 2, Austin: Eakin, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Balsora, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/balsora-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Balsora
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377971
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wise County
Associated Names

Wild Horse Prairie

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.11622900°
  • Longitude: -97.85197940°
Population Counts
People Year
50 2009