Barado, TX


By: James L. Hailey

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Barado was located eight miles southeast of Huntsville on what is now Farm Road 2296. The village served the region surrounding Kelly's Switch on the Great Northern Railroad. The switch was located a mile north of the present intersection of Farm Road 2296 and U.S. Highway 75 and served the sawmill operated nearby by John F. Kelly, Jr., and Hervey Kelly. Barado was established in 1893 and had a population of fifteen in 1896. At one time the community had a store and a school. The post office was in operation from 1892 until 1912. In later years a boiler explosion at the mill killed John Kelly, and the mill was closed. By the 1930s nothing remained in the area except the ruins of the old mill.

Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

James L. Hailey, “Barado, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/barado-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Barado
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379389
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Walker County
Associated Names

Kelley's

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.62408580°
  • Longitude: -95.47966470°