Barnes Switch, also known as Barnes, is at the junction of State Highway 19 and Farm Road 1893, in western Trinity County. The settlement grew up near a switch on the Waco, Beaumont, Trinity and Sabine Railway in the early 1920s and was named for Dr. S. E. Barnes, a prominent physician. In the mid-1930s there were several stores in the area. In the early 1990s a single store remained, and the community reported a population of fifteen.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Christopher Long, “Barnes Switch, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 28, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/barnes-switch-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.