Barsola, TX


By: Phyllis Aswell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Barsola is eight miles south of Alto on Farm Road 1911 in southern Cherokee County. It was established in June 1835 by Roland W. Box, who purchased one-third league of land in the Stephen Burham grant west of Larrison Creek. Box built a log fort for his father, John M. Box, and brothers, Samuel C., William, James, and John A. The settlement was named for José Barcela, to whom the first land in the area had been granted. Most of the site later reverted to ranchland. The church was torn down, and a pavilion replaced it.

Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Phyllis Aswell, “Barsola, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/barsola-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Barsola
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cherokee County
Associated Names

Barsole

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.52424900°
  • Longitude: -95.04303600°