The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now


Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Bartlett-Florence Railway

Chris Cravens General Entry

The Bartlett-Florence Railway Company was chartered on September 15, 1909 (one source says September 17, 1905), to build from Bartlett to Florence, a distance of twenty-three miles. The organizers hoped to profit from Williamson County cotton production. The road was initially capitalized at $25,000, and the business office was located at Bartlett. Members of the first board of directors included F. W. Johnston of St. Elmo, Illinois, John C. Collins of Houston, C. C. Bailey of Bartlett, G. W. Hubbard of Teague, John McDaniel and John Brewster of Florence, and W. J. McDaniel, H. W. Peck, G. D. Fairtrace, and John R. Graham, all of Dallas. The road was opened to traffic between Bartlett and Jarrell on February 1, 1910, and graded as far as Florence by early April. However, the Bartlett-Florence encountered financial problems, and was sold under foreclosure on May 29, 1911. A new company, Bartlett Western, was organized and completed the line to Florence in 1912.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Bartlett-Florence Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bartlett-florence-railway.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

Loading