The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now


Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Bartonsite, TX

William R. Hunt General Entry

Bartonsite, a ghost town in southwestern Hale County, was platted in 1907 on the expectation of a Santa Fe line from Plainview to Lubbock. The Barton Ranch community reached a population of 250 by 1909, but the rails were not laid through the area. Most buildings were moved to Abernathy, thirteen miles to the southeast. The post office closed in 1921.

Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Bartonsite, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed April 12, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bartonsite-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Loading