Bass, TX


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Bass, twenty miles east of Tyler in eastern Smith County, was named for a family of local settlers and granted a post office in 1886. In 1890 and 1892 John B. Bass was both postmaster and owner of a local cotton gin. In 1890 the town, which received mail semiweekly, had a population of four and businesses including a blacksmith, a corn mill, two cotton gins, and a sorghum plant. By 1892 the number of inhabitants had increased to eighteen and a druggist had opened a new business. The post office was discontinued in 1903.

"Post Offices and Postmasters of Smith County, Texas: 1847–1929," Chronicles of Smith County, Spring 1966.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “Bass, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bass-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Bass
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Smith County
Associated Names

' Mill

Findit