Bassett Creek


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bassett Creek is formed by the junction of Blythe and Weaver creeks twelve miles south of DeKalb in southwestern Bowie County (33°20' N, 94°36' W). It flows southeast for eleven miles to its mouth on the Sulphur River, thirteen miles southwest of New Boston (at 33°17' N, 94°31' W). The soils of the area are clayey; flooding is frequent. The land is heavily wooded, with post oak, blackjack oak, and elm predominating. The stream was probably named for John Bassett, an original grantee of land through which it flows.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Bassett Creek,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bassett-creek.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994