Bassett, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bassett is on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway fourteen miles south of DeKalb in southwestern Bowie County. The town was named for John Bassett, on whose land grant the site is located. A post office was opened there in 1882 with G. B. Dalby as postmaster. By 1884 the town had two sawmills and a population of twenty-five and served as a shipping point for local farm products and lumber. In 1890 the population was 100. It was seventy-five in 1914 and fifty-eight in 1925. The post office was closed in 1958. In 1982 the town had a population of forty and no rated businesses. In 1990 and 2000 the population was 373.

J. J. Scheffelin, Bowie County Basic Background Book.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Bassett, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bassett-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bassett
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1372411
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bowie County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.31678710°
  • Longitude: -94.56103640°
Population Counts
People Year
100 2014