Bateman, TX


By: Paula Mitchell Marks

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bateman, two miles south of Red Rock in southern Bastrop County, was established in the early 1880s and named for one of the original settlers. With the coming of the railroad a few years later, the community became a shipping point, and in 1900 a post office was established with William S. Friar, Jr., as postmaster. At the end of 1904 the post office closed. In the 1930s Bateman had two businesses, a population of fifty, and a two-room school. The population estimate remained at fifty through 1948. Bateman was still listed as a community in 1990, but without population figures.

William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Paula Mitchell Marks, “Bateman, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bateman-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bateman
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379396
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bastrop County
Associated Names

-Spur

Cross Roads

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.95133240°
  • Longitude: -97.47527310°
Population Counts
People Year
12 2009