Bath, TX


By: James L. Hailey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Bath, originally called Possum Walk, was a community on Farm Road 1374 eight miles west of Interstate Highway 45 in southwestern Walker County. The Union Hill Baptist Church was established there in 1872. The Possum Walk community changed its name to Bath when its post office was established in 1887; James H. Bell served as the first postmaster. Bath reported twenty-five residents in 1892 and forty in 1896. The Union Hill church building served as both a place of worship and a schoolhouse until a separate facility for the school was provided in 1899. Around 1900 two cotton gins, a gristmill, and a sawmill operated at Bath. The post office closed in 1905. In 1911 the community still had its school, which had seven grades, and the church. As late as 1936 Bath persisted as a community of scattered farm dwellings clustered around the school and church. By the early 1990s only the Union Hill Baptist Church and a cemetery remained.

D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

James L. Hailey, “Bath, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bath-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Bath
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381362
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Walker County
Associated Names

1

Booth

Holloways Store

Possum Walk

Union Hill

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.59464260°
  • Longitude: -95.62383410°