Beadle, TX


By: Stephen L. Hardin

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Beadle was on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway twelve miles southwest of Bay City in southwestern Matagorda County. The settlement was established in the early 1900s as an irrigated farm project managed by Levi E. Beadle. In 1910 it secured a post office with Beadle as postmaster. That year the Ashby Mill and Warehouse Company operated a store, and the population was fifty. By 1914 the community had a telephone connection, but population estimates remained unchanged. The post office ceased operation in 1918, and by 1920 the Ashby Company had closed its store. By 1936 the community no longer appeared on county highway maps.

Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., Houston: Armstrong, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Stephen L. Hardin, “Beadle, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/beadle-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Beadle
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Matagorda County
Associated Names

Ferrissa