Bear Creek, TX (San Jacinto County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bear Creek was on Farm Road 1725 in southwestern San Jacinto County, fifty-seven miles north of Houston. The area was settled by 1870; included among its early inhabitants were Pete McShan, J. H. Ellis, Dee McIlvan, and William Moody. Many early residents came from Alabama and cleared farms from the dense underbrush and thick woods. A local post office, known as Drury, served residents from 1890 to 1909, when it was discontinued and mail sent to Maynard. Numerous gravel pits now mark the surrounding countryside.

Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Bear Creek, TX (San Jacinto County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bear-creek-tx-san-jacinto-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bear Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381372
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Jacinto County
Associated Names

Drury

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.44937150°
  • Longitude: -95.22104900°