Andrew Jackson Beard, son of William and Martha (Harris) Beard, was born in Missouri on May 29, 1814. He moved to Liverpool, Texas, with his parents in 1831, and shortly thereafter to Big Creek, where he later bought land from his uncle, Abner Harris, an Old Three Hundred colonist. In the fall of 1835 Beard served the Texas army for several months before receiving an honorable discharge from Stephen F. Austin at a camp near Bexar. In the early spring of 1836 he entered William H. Patton's Columbia Company, which was attached to the Second Regiment of the revolutionary army. With this unit Beard served as a private at the battle of San Jacinto. Payroll records reveal that A. J. Beard served the Texas Rangers for several months in 1839. In 1842, during the Vásquez-Woll campaign, Beard and his two younger brothers, William H. and Robert Sidney, assisted the Texas militia in repelling the Mexican invaders from San Antonio. Andrew returned home to Fort Bend County, but Robert and William had the misfortune to wind up in the Mier expedition. Even though neither drew a black bean in the Black Bean Episode, both died in Mexican prisons before the Mexican government released the group in 1844. In Fort Bend County in 1847 Andrew Beard married Sarah Jane Pentecost, a daughter of Old Three Hundred colonist George S. Pentecost. In 1850 Andrew and Sarah were living in Seguin, where Beard's father had relocated the family; however, about 1852–53 Andrew returned to Big Creek to farm and raise cattle. He served several terms as overseer of the Big Creek Road District and was the postmaster at Big Creek for several years. He died in office in 1866. Sarah preceded him in death in 1857. Both are buried in the Old Pentecost Graveyard, now known as the Brown-Beard Cemetery, on Cuming's Road near Big Creek. They had six children, and numerous descendants still live in Fort Bend County. Most of Beard's original acreage on what is now Sawmill Road is still in possession of his heirs. In 1974, when the Texas Family Land Heritage program was initiated, the Beard Ranch on Big Creek was included in the first edition of the registry.