Beason Creek


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Beason Creek, a perennial stream, rises seven miles southeast of Navasota in south central Grimes County (at 30°20' N, 95°57' W) and flows southwest for sixteen miles to its mouth on the Brazos River near the Waller county line (at 30°14' N, 96°05' W). It traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by clayey loam that supports post oak, blackjack oak, elm, and hackberry trees along the creekbed. Settlement in the vicinity of the lower creek began in the early 1820s, when Jared E. Groce began farming a large tract of land near the mouth. His second plantation home, Groce's Retreat, was constructed on Wallace Prairie beside the middle creek in 1833. The present Retreat, two miles upstream, was founded in 1851. The town of White Hall is on the west bank of the upper creek, and downstream is Courtney.

Grimes County Historical Commission, History of Grimes County, Land of Heritage and Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Beason Creek,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/beason-creek.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994