Beaumont and Great Northern Railroad

By: S. G. Reed

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995

The Beaumont and Great Northern Railroad was chartered on June 22, 1905, to connect Trinity in Trinity County with Livingston, thirty-seven miles to the southeast in Polk County. The capital stock was $370,000. The principal place of business was Onalaska, Polk County. The members of the first board of directors were William Carlisle and George W. Pennell, both of Atchison, Kansas; L. O. Jackson of Onalaska; James E. Hill and L. T. Sloan, both of Livingston; A. C. Bird of Chicago, Illinois; R. C. Fyfe of Tyler; H. E. Farrell of St. Louis, Missouri; and W. F. Davis of Groveton. Between August 1905 and May 1908 the company built thirty-three miles of track from Trinity through Onalaska to Livingston. In 1908 the B&GN was sold to R. C. Duff to become part of his proposed line from Waco to Port Arthur. Carlisle bought the road back in 1910 and by August 1911 had completed an additional fifteen miles between Trinity and Weldon. Shortly thereafter, Duff repurchased the line and sold it to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas (Katy). In 1913 the Katy asked the Texas legislature for authority to consolidate the B&GN. Permission was granted over the governor's veto, and the attorney general secured an injunction against the consolidation. The controversy was settled in 1914, when the Katy leased the B&GN for ninety-nine years and agreed to expend $6 million to extend the line from Weldon to Waco. However, the Katy entered receivership in 1915 and, when reorganized in 1923, left the B&GN out of the new company. The B&GN reverted to its original owners, who renamed it Waco, Beaumont, Trinity and Sabine Railway Company when independent operation resumed on April 1, 1923.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

S. G. Reed, “Beaumont and Great Northern Railroad,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995