Beauxart Gardens, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Beauxart Gardens, originally a federal subsistence homestead colony, is between U.S. Highway 69/96/287 and Farm Road 823 six miles southeast of Beaumont in eastern Jefferson County. Once the site of intensive rice farming by residents of Nederland and Viterbo, the area was developed by the federal government during the Great Depression and named for its location between Beaumont and Port Arthur. The town plat was filed in 1934 and approved by the Resettlement Administration the following year. Fifty families were located on the 205-acre tract. The houses, of three to six rooms, also included 3½ acres for each family to cultivate for its own use. Inhabitants worked part-time at nearby refineries and spent the remainder of their working hours on the government truck farm at Beauxart Gardens. A voting precinct was established at Beauxart Gardens on August 10, 1942. The community now lies slightly west of the Jefferson County airport.

Beaumont Enterprise, May 31, 1936. WPA Federal Writers' Project, Port Arthur (Houston: Anson Jones, 1939).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Beauxart Gardens, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/beauxart-gardens-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Beauxart Gardens
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1351717
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jefferson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.96076970°
  • Longitude: -94.03489790°