Beaver Dam, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Beaver Dam is a small, predominantly black community fourteen miles northwest of DeKalb in northeastern Bowie County. The town, named for a large beaver dam on a nearby creek, has never had a post office. In 1933 it reported one rated business and a population of ten. In the 1940s and 1950s the reported population was twenty-five. In 1984 Beaver Dam comprised a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses. In 2000 the population was fifty-five.

J. J. Scheffelin, Bowie County Basic Background Book.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Beaver Dam, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/beaver-dam-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Beaver Dam
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bowie County
Associated Names

-s

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.63297300°
  • Longitude: -94.67281700°
Population Counts
People Year
10 2014