Beckham, TX


By: J. E. Jennings

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Beckham, six miles north of Sulphur Springs and two miles west of State highways 19 and 154 in north central Hopkins County, was named for early settlers Riley and John Beckham. John Barker settled at the site in 1864. A post office operated there from 1899 until 1904 with John S. Haggard as postmaster. In the mid-1930s Beckham had a church, a school, and a number of scattered dwellings. The school later was consolidated with the North Hopkins school district, and by the late 1980s only the church marked the site of the community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

J. E. Jennings, “Beckham, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/beckham-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Beckham
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1330286
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hopkins County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.22650160°
  • Longitude: -95.61828960°